Tourists have been warned to be wary of travelling to parts of Mexico after nine Welsh holidaymakers were struck down with the serious food poisoning bug Cyclospora.
The Cyclospora outbreak involved 24 luxury hotel complexes in the Cancun area, It’s thought that the outbreak was caused by tainted food supplies to the hotels.
Public Health Wales said that they expect more travelers to be affected by the illness in coming days with the Foreign Office also updating its website to include a warning from health authorities about travelling to the Mexican region.
Guests as young as 12 have believed to have eaten contaminated food in their hotels and later fell ill with Cyclospora which causes severe stomach cramps and diarrhoea in it’s victims.
A number of different hotels are now believed to be affected by the outbreak, including a number of Thomson resorts. The same region in Mexico suffered a similar outbreak last year when 76 Britons were taken ill by the same bug.
But what is Cyclospora?
Cyclospora is an infection of the bowel caused by a tiny parasite called Cyclospora cayetanensis. The bug is usually caught from eating raw fruit and vegetables contaminated with human faeces. You read that right… human poo.
How can I protect myself from Cyclospora?
To help protect your self from Cyclospora we suggest the following hygiene measures:
- Wash your hands with soap and water after going to the toilet
- Wash hands before preparing and/or eating food
- Make sure all cooked food is steaming hot
- Avoid raw fruit and vegetables that haven’t been washed in clean water
- Only drink bottled water and avoid ice in drinks
- Beware of any product that you suspect may have been tampered with, including bottled water.
More information regarding health and other issues in Mexico can be found on the Foreign Office’s Website
If you’ve been taken ill in Mexico or been unlucky enough to have been effected by Cyclospora then please get in touch using the comments section below.
Image Courtesy of Thomson Holidays